Meaning of Radiography/Medical Imaging Technology
Radiography is an imaging technique that uses X-rays, gamma rays, or other forms of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation to examine an object’s internal form.
Radiography applications are of two examples; medical radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic) and industrial radiography. Airport security employs similar methods (where “body scanners” generally use backscatter X-ray).
Radiographers observe, treat, and care for patients using a variety of technologies. They use ionizing radiation, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging, and radioactive sources in the fields of medical imaging, radiotherapy, and nuclear medicine.
This course is called Medical Imaging Technology in polytechnics. Medical Imaging deals with the study of techniques and machines that are used to create images of several parts of the human body. This is used for diagnostic and treatment purposes. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and X-ray Radiography are some of the areas of coverage.
Polytechnics that Offer Medical Imaging Technology in Nigeria
The polytechnics/colleges that offer this course include:
- Rivers State College of Health Science and Technology
- Anambra State College of Health Technology
- Shehu Idris College of Health Science and Technology.
Requirements for studying Medical Imaging Technology
Here are the requirements for studying Medical Imaging Technology:
- Candidates must possess a minimum of 5 credit passes (in relevant subjects) at O’ Level. These subjects include Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry, Biology/Health Science, and Physics.
- Candidates should write the following subjects in UTME: Mathematics, English Language, Biology, and Chemistry.
Universities that Offer Radiography in Nigeria
Here are the polytechnics that offer Radiography in Nigeria:
- University of Maiduguri
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Nigeria Nsukka
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- University of Lagos
- University of Calabar, Calabar
- Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto.
O’ Level Requirement for studying Radiography
Candidates interested in applying for a programme in Radiography are required to obtain a minimum of credit passes in the courses enlisted below: